Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Words of Wisdom: Following your dream

So last week after a long and horrible ordeal, Husband and I left our jobs. Hard to do when you love your job as much as we do and there are so many people depending on you for help and healing. But when you are told to violate your principles for the sake of the almighty euro (all while not being paid), it makes the decision a little easier.
So for guidance I am re-reading The Alchemist. Brilliant book, haven't got past the Authors Note yet, since I found exactly what I needed on the second page. To quote:


"We who fight for our dream suffer far more when it doesn't work out, because we cannot fall back on the old excuse, "Oh, well, I didn't really want it anyway." We do want it and know that we have staked everything on it and that the path of the personal calling is no easier than any other path, except that our whole heart is in this journey. Then we warriors of light must be prepared to have patience in difficult times and to know that the universe is conspiring in favor, even though we may not understand how.
I ask myself: are defeats necessary? Well, necessary or not, they happen. When we first begin fighting for our dream, we have no experience and make many mistakes. The secret of life though, is to fall seven times and to get up eight times.
So why is it so important to live out our personal calling if we are only going to suffer more than other people? Because once we have overcome the defeats - and we always do - we are filled with a greater sense of euphoria an confidence. In the silence of our hearts, we know that we are proving ourselves worthy of the miracle of life. Each day, each hour, is part of the good fight." -Paulo Coelho
Smart man...
So this is the third time our grand plans have flopped, but no matter, as much as I think I want a button down life, truth is the monotony would slowly kill me...for better or worse, I like my roller-coaster life.

No comments:

Post a Comment