Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Hummingbird Cupcakes

I have a tiny kitchen. Its more of a corridor than actual kitchen. I don't even have a proper oven, just a bench top one, which is so small I can only bake 6 cupcakes at a time. But I still love to cook and once a week I usually bake. As a health care professional and someone who is interested in nutrition, I do understand the problem with this, but I'm able to sleep at night by telling myself that at least I know what goes into what I make, plus good food not only nourishes the body but the soul.
With that, I set about making Husbands favourite cake, Hummingbird. I have never really been that much of a fan and during the 4 years Husband and I have been together I have never been able to bake a proper version. Until now...these were cinnamon, banana, pineapple cream cheese perfection, even made the burns I obtained while making them worthwhile!


Hummingbird Cupcakes
recipe adapted from here
this made about 33 cupcakes

3 cups organic plain flour
1 cup sugar (I ended up using half brown half golden caster because that was all I had)
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs
3/4 cup organic neutral oil (I used Sunflower, but it did have a taste, will probably switch next time)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 250g can crushed pineapple, with liquid (hard to find in Ireland so I had to buy a normal can and crush it myself, work fine though)
2 cups mashed very ripe organic bananas
1 cup corsely chopped pecans (optional, I left them out)

1. Sift together dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, salt)
2. Beat together wet ingredients (eggs, oil and vanilla)
3. Add wet mix to dry mix. Stir till just combined but do not over mix
4. Add banana, pineapple and nuts (if using) and mix well, but don not beat.
5. Fill cupcake molds 3/4 full
6. Bake at 180 degrees celcius for ~25 minutes until golden and a cake tester comes out clean.
7. Top these off with the cream cheese frosting.

The Best part is the cream cheese icing. This is my mother-in-laws recipe and it never fails to impress. This makes A LOT of icing, but that never seems to matter...
Cream Cheese Icing
125g organic unsalted butter
250g cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla extract
300g icing sugar
a little milk (to thin if necessary)

With electric mixers beat together butter, cream cheese and vanilla. Add icing sugar and beat again. Add a little milk if the icing is too thick.

Once cakes have cooled spread a generous amount of icing on top each cake. Some people sprinkle coconut on top, but we prefer them plain. These will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for about 5 days (if they last that long)

No comments:

Post a Comment