Friday, January 14, 2011

Healthy Snax

image from here
The first thing I noticed about giving up processed carbohydrates was how hungry I felt. Back in the old days I would grad a few rice cakes to tide me over, but alas, no more. So I had to get creative. Stashing healthy snacks in my desk draw kept me from gnawing my own arm off. Here are a few tips:

  1. Raw nuts and seeds 
  2. Carrot, celery, cucumber, cheese
  3. Slices of cold chicken
  4. Raw protein bar
  5. Cut up fruit
  6. Lots and lots of water - most of the time you're not hungry, you're dehydrated
  7. Instant miso soup
  8. Green or Herbal Tea
  9. Small glass of soy, rice, oat or nut milk
  10. Edamame beans - buy them frozen from the asian shop, boil them, shell them and store them in a container to eat during the day. 
  11. Juice - make a vegetable juice, squeeze some lemon into it to keep it fresh and keep it in the fridge at work.
  12. Dips - try hummus or tzatziki but please make it from scratch
  13. Cold boiled organic free range egg
  14. Salad - try quinoa or tabouli
  15. Can of good quality tuna or salmon
Happy Snacking!

No comments:

Post a Comment