Friday, November 5, 2010

Dairy and Calcium

image from here
"If I don't eat dairy, how will I get Calcium for my bones?"
A common question I get asked.
Now a small amount of organic dairy is not too bad for you, for example I would choose real butter over margarine any day (I trust cows more than I trust scientists) but too much of anything (other than green vegetables) is not good for you.
But lets look at dairy and its claims to being so benificial to health.
Stats show that in the USA the majority of women consume almost 1kg of dairy products every day their whole lives yet 30,000,000 women have osteoporosis.  And why is that? It is mainly because dairy products are acidic. This means that when you ingest them, they increase the pH of your blood. Now your body likes to keep its pH between 7.35 to 7.45, which is slightly basic. If the pH changes by adding too much acid, the body will take measures to correct it and one of the first things it does, is leach calcium from your bones. Thus a diet high in dairy will PROMOTE bone loss. 
So, what foods are the best source of calcium?
You guessed it, green leafy vegetables. Other sources include seeds (especially sesame), nuts, soy and legumes. So swap out some of that dairy!

No comments:

Post a Comment