Friday, October 8, 2010

Food Filosophy

image via here

Being a Health Care Practitioner who gives a lot of diet advice, I often get asked about my personal philosophy on food. It's pretty simple really, I follow a few little rules to keep me and Mr. Ox on track
  • Firstly we follow the food pie as a general rule of thumb for each meal
  • I base my diet on mainly green vegetables, trying to include them in all meals and some snacks (cucumber sticks and hummus are awesome)
  • I eat as close to natural as possible, this means full fat organic dairy, organic and free range eggs, meat and fish, wild game when possible and the bare minimum of processed foods such as bread pasta and rice
  • I keep carbs to a minimum, once every 2-3 days and when choosing carbohydrates I choose ancient grains like spelt and kamut
  • I keep sugar to a minimum, including fruit, only 2 pieces a day (difficult since we now live in a tropical paradise with a mango tree in the front yard) and dairy (lactose is also a sugar!). 
  • Food combining: if I am eating a carbohydrate in a meal, I do not pair it with an animal protein, ie. I keep the meal vegetarian this way it is easier to digest it. Similarly I pair animal proteins with vegetables (mainly green) for most meals. 
  • AT LEAST 2 litres of filtered water per day, it fills out the wrinkles!
  • Finally, once in a while (say once or twice a month) Mr. Ox and I will throw all the rules out the window for one day and go nuts, eat whatever we want, have a bottle of wine, whatever. Because what is the point of doing all of this if you can't enjoy things once and a while? There is only one rule to this, whatever you put into you body must be good quality. If I want to eat pancakes or cupcakes or brownies I make them myself, with good organic ingredients that way I know that the treat is worth it. It is better to have one day of a being naughty than a little bad thing everyday because this way the day after you've eaten a whole pizza you balance it by having all green vegetables to help you body repair. To be clear, I am not advocating binge eating or drinking, just one day once in a while where you're not strict on yourself, this way you keep special foods for special times, things like pasta and cake are treats not diet staples. 
These are my simple rules to keep healthy, what are yours?

1 comment:

  1. Great Stuff Leandra!
    I've only just realised you have a blog.
    My food rules are very similar however I'm a bit softer on the carbohydrates (They're inescapable being married to an Italian!)but again it's best if they are home made (thus fresh pasta friday). It's easier to digest and you'll get fuller faster so you need less.
    Enjoy Darwin.

    ReplyDelete